Sunday, July 14, 2013

Almost there....

I spent from 4:00-7:30 this evening getting all of my documents together.  I started the process for EPIK at the beginning of February, when I submitted my application with the recruiter I'm using, Reach to Teach. From that point I began working on my application, which included essays and a lesson plan (which took me a ridiculously long time despite the fact that I'm a teacher--turns out I don't really know how to teach English....).  I also had to gather letters of recommendation and get my fingerprints taken for an FBI background check.

I submitted my application at the beginning of March. From that point my recruiter called me to go over my application and I made a few changes to my original app.  The revised application was turned in by the middle of March.  After that, I had a mock interview with my recruiter via Skype about a week later.  From that point there was a small lull as my application couldn't be officially submitted until April 1st.  I waited a few weeks to hear about when my interview would be scheduled.  I was away on vacation from the 20-27th, and as soon as I got back to having internet access I checked my e-mail and found out that my interview was scheduled for the following night. Talk about short notice (although really they gave me plenty of notice...I just wasn't in the country to know about it!)

In the "lull" period I received a bunch of steps to start collecting my documents because EPIK wants your documents right after your interview.  This has been the most time consuming part of the document process--getting my background check notarized, then shipping it to DC to be apostilled, and getting my diplomas notarized, then sending them to Concord to be apostilled, getting copies of transcripts....there is a ton of paperwork!

I found out I passed my interview a few days after my interview (beginning of May?), but I didn't have all my documents together yet, which is why it's taken me so long.  I finally got my background check back from DC on Friday.  Today I had to get more passport pictures taken (because you need 6 total for all the paperwork that is to come).  Of course, the lady at Wal-Mart didn't take my original pictures right, so when I went to pick them up, I had to take them all over again. Once I FINALLY had my pictures and other documents, I made copies of everything, then scanned the copies to my recruiter.  Now all I need is the OK to send the documents and I can finally mail everything out to Taiwan, where my recruiter will process everything.

This whole process has taken way more time than I can accurately depict.  It wouldn't be as bad except for oh you know, I'm also teaching full time right now.  Teaching consumes all of my time in itself, so running around doing all of this stuff has made some of my evenings pretty exhausting (not to mention the cost of obtaining and mailing all of these things around....it really adds up!)

Nonetheless, I am excited to almost be done! I'm crossing my fingers that everything works out, because as scared as I can be at times, I know this is what I want.

No comments:

Post a Comment