Monday, September 29, 2014

A Friday Korean Surprise Part 2: The Teacher's Dinner

Friday as a whole captured the yin and yang of Korean surprises.  They are wonderful sometimes when your classes are canceled at the last minute or when you get to take some fun trip, but they can also get you just when you want them the least.

My day Friday started with a wonderful surprise Sports Day, and I was fully ready to cruise to the weekend after the festivities were over.  I typically leave school around 4:17 to catch the 4:20 bus home.  At about 4:12 on Friday one of the teachers asked me if I was coming to dinner.  

What dinner?!

Yes, it was what I feared.  There was in fact a teacher's dinner that I was expected to attend after school.  Now, it's not that I don't like the teachers at my school.  I actually like them a lot, but that doesn't make teacher dinners any less boring when you can't really communicate with anyone.  Also....it was Friday.  All I wanted to do was get home and put some sweatpants on.  

Luckily the plan was to eat at a restaurant right next to my apartment. It also wasn't a super long teacher's dinner with drinking afterwards (which can happen more times than not).  So, I guess all in all I can be thankful for that.  

Needless to say, by the time I got home Friday night I was ready to settle in for a surprise-free night locked in my apartment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment