Friday, November 29, 2013

"Cheer up, we love you!"

Last night I had a dream that I decided to go home. I don't fully remember the dream, but I guess I just up and left my life in Korea and came back to the US.  It was actually a really stressful dream, because the whole time I was home and freaking out thinking "Why did I do that?! There's nothing here for me to do! I have no job! And I didn't even get to do any traveling!"

I woke up this morning feeling relieved to find myself still in Korea.  

Needless to say, I think that my homesickness was brewing in my brain while I was sleeping, and maybe God just decided to put it all in perspective.  I will be so happy when I come back to the US, whether it's just for a visit or for good, but right now my life is in Korea and I still have SO much to do here. 

Of course, that doesn't mean I wasn't sad when I looked at facebook this morning and saw everyone's Thanksgiving statuses.  I was bummed out when I went to teach my first class today, but luckily I always start Fridays off on an awesome note.  I start Friday mornings with the second grade girls, who are just TOO cute.  After teaching in public schools in the US for two years, I feel that I fully appreciate the absolute adorableness of some of my girl classes.  Seriously, there's not a bad student in mix.  They're all equally sweet, excited to learn, and it doesn't hurt that they get really excited for me to teach them.  I don't have to discipline ever.  I don't have to raise my voice.  And even though you're not supposed to feel like friends with your students, I feel like my relationship with these girls is really friendly because well...they're just such good kids I really don't have to worry about them getting out of line (I realize this sounds really naive...but really, if you met these girls, you'd understand).

Anyway, the point is, the girls could tell I wasn't feeling like my normal self. When I first came into the class they told me I looked tired, and I told them I was mostly just missing my friends and family back home because it's Thanksgiving.  At that point there were of course plenty of "Awwwwws".  At the end of class, they were probably the most adorable because they all told me "Cheer up!! We love you!!", and of course of personal favorite "Fighting!"  Koreans say "fighting" frequently to mean good luck, or as a way of wishing someone encouragement.  Regardless, it was pretty precious if I do say so myself. 

I was happy to start my day with those girls, but all day I was really looking forward to getting home and having some time to relax.  So here I am now. It's 8:00. my pajamas are on, and I'm ready for a lazy weekend full of reading, The West Wing, and just spending as much time as possible in my warm bed.  

There's plenty of time for adventures, but now all I need is some laziness in my life.  Next week I'll be going to Busan, but for now, I don't have any intention of being social.  

No comments:

Post a Comment