Saturday, November 23, 2013

The week of speaking tests

It certainly feels like November in Korea these days.  The trees have lost their leaves and the cold air is here to stay.  I even gave in and started wearing my winter jacket this week.  A few weeks ago my mom sent me a bunch of things from home, and my red pea coat was among the things she sent for me.  I didn't think anything of it when I started wearing the coat to school on Monday, but apparently red pea coats aren't common in Korea.  I was told all throughout this week how beautiful I was or that I was "dressed to kill."  Yes, my Korean students repeatedly used the expression "dressed to kill."  I think they must have just learned it in one of their classes, because they were all pretty excited to get a chance to use it.

This cold weather not only means winter is coming, but it also means that final exams are right around the corner.  The Korean school calendar begins in March and ends in December, so the semester is about to wrap-up over the next few weeks.   This means that this week I was responsible for doing speaking tests with all of my classes. This meant that I got speak to all of my students one-on-one, which was nice, but also exhausting after a while.

I administered the tests by asking the students each a few conversation questions.  I had a list of 20 questions and I randomly chose two questions for each student, then asked a few follow-up questions.

Most of the students were pretty prepared, and overall I was really impressed with how they did.

Of course, there were some that just plain entertaining.  Here is a glimpse at one of the most entertaining conversations:

Question 1: Which country would you most like to travel to and why?
Student: America.
Me: Why America?
Student: Because that is where Sarah lives and I love Sarah.
Me: So where in America will you go? 
Student: Wherever you live.
Me: Do you remember where that is?
Student: No, but I want to go there.
Me: So what will you do when you go to America?
Student: I will eat food with you.

Question 2: What is your favorite thing about Korean culture?
Student: Really, there is nothing. I don't like Korea. I want to go to America.
Me: You must like SOMETHING about Korea!
Student: Yes, I like having native teacher.
Me: You don't like anything else about Korean culture?
Student: Well, since it is test I will lie and make up answer.....


So, that was interesting. This particular student then told me that he doesn't try in his other classes, but he was going to try in my class.  Someone knows how to suck up during a test.

I actually learned a lot about my students during the speaking tests. One of the questions that many students had to answer was "If you could change one thing about Korea, what would it be?"

Nearly ever student that answered this question answered by saying they would change the education system.  When I asked why, almost every single student mentioned the fact that they are exhausted.  One particularly mature student said they she didn't like the way in which they learn because they always just memorize what the teacher says and they don't ever get to express their opinions.  I asked if they ever have discussions in class, and she responded no. My inner social studies teacher died a little.

Another student had perhaps the most powerful answer when I asked why he would change the education system.  His reply was "The education system in Korea is killing the creativity of Korean students."

Wow.

Now, I don't think students in America like school.  The American education system is far from perfect, and there are many things I would like to see done differently.  While teaching in America I quickly learned that it didn't matter what I did, the students would complain about absolutely anything.  However, if I asked them what they would change about America, I doubt I would get the answers I got from my Korean students, at least at with such consistency.

It was saddening for me to hear how the students feel about school.  During the tests I also learned just how far many of students travel to go to school.  The vast majority of my students live in dormitories, and only go home on Saturdays once or twice a month.  Many of them travel at least an hour home, then they come right back on Sundays.  These students frequently mentioned that they miss their homes.  When I see my students they look so young, but they make serious sacrifices for school. They're growing up away from their families and support systems and I have to wonder, why?  So they can score well on a test and prove how much they are capable of memorizing?  What value is that to their lives or their future productivity in society?

I hope that my students are brave enough to fight for changes in their country.  I think change will slowly come to Korea, but it will be slow. These kids are more exposed to the outside world than any other previous generations in Korea.  They know that education doesn't have to be this way, and I hope that they will fight for better for their children.

Last weekend when I was in Seoul I was talking to one of my Korean friends and she told me that everyone in Korea knows that there is something wrong with the education system.  She said everyone knows that it needs to change, but no one knows how.

I told her that in America politicians frequently note the competition in Asia.  We're constantly told that we're "falling behind" countries in like China and Korea.

Her response?

When Korean people hear about that they laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment