Monday, October 14, 2013

A Korean Surprise: The Yearbook Picture

One of my favorite things about Korea is all the random snacks that suddenly appear in the teacher's room.  At least once a week I will be sitting at my desk and suddenly some food will either be brought to me or put on the table in the center of the room.  Snacks range from grapes, to dried squid, to spaghetti.  You just never know what it's going to be.

Today I was sitting at my desk when my vice-principal came over and showed me to the sweet potatoes and apples that had just been served.  I stood there and ate for a few minutes with the other teachers, unable to understand anything, but trying to be sociable and friendly nonetheless.  Then one of the teachers said something to my co-teacher, and she told me that he said I should have my picture taken for the yearbook.  Of course I said ok, and after a few minutes I went back to my desk, definitely NOT thinking that the picture thing was happening right at that second.

I wasn't at my desk for long before my co-teacher came over and told me that I should go with the other teacher to go get my picture taken.  It was 4:30 at this point, so she told me to take my stuff and go home after.  Of course, when I envisioned getting my picture taken for the yearbook I was thinking more along the lines of how it goes in the US--you go to the auditorium and they take your picture AT school.  This was a different story.  Within five minutes I was in a cab heading to an actual photo studio.

I didn't really know what was going on, and the other two teachers with me didn't speak english.  We went to the same photo studio I had been to when I first arrived and needed a photo for my ARC.  At least this time the lady didn't completely rearrange my hair.  She did tell me I should put on some powder (gotta love that oily skin...thanks, Dad ;) )....of course I didn't have any powder because you know, I wasn't anticipating having my picture taken on a Monday afternoon.

I had lesson plans I had hoped to finish before I left school today....but I guess you never know when having your picture taken is going to suddenly become a number one priority.  Oh, Korea.

No comments:

Post a Comment