Thursday, October 31, 2013

When home starts to feel far away.

I'm currently sitting at my desk at school and The Red Sox just won the World Series.  During the duration of the game I wasn't with my friends and family nervously watching the game.  Instead, I was teaching a classroom full of high school boys about Halloween.

I've always known that I'm far from home, but today is the first time home really feels far away. Today is the fist time I can really feel just how much the distance has removed me from the place where I have the most connections--the place that has made me who I am.

I'm happy I'm in Korea, but I know as the holidays approach, home is going to start feeling further and further away.  I can't help but think--if I'm this bummed about missing the World Series, how will I feel on Thanksgiving day when I'm teaching while my family has Thanksgiving dinner?  Or how will I feel when my family opens presents on Christmas while I'm on the other side of the world?

The answer is, I'll probably feel pretty terrible.  It's probably going to be a lot harder than today.

Living abroad provides you with an abundance of amazing opportunities.  However, these opportunities only come as the result of sacrifices.  The price you pay for the amazing, unique, opportunities of living abroad is missing out on some of these moments with your friends and family.  For all of the amazing highs that come with living in Korea, there are lows as well.

I hope everyone back home is enjoying the win--please celebrate extra for me! Miss you all!

xox


No comments:

Post a Comment