Monday, March 3, 2014

A New School Year

It's true, it's somehow the beginning of March. The days are getting longer and warmer, and there's no doubt that spring is in the air here in Korea.  Although the arrival of spring back in the States means that summer is around the corner, bringing the end of the school year with it, in Korea it means something quite different--the beginning of a new school year.  

The school year technically ended back in January...or maybe it technically ended with graduation last month?  I really don't understand the schedule here at all.  But here's what I do know: final exams were in the beginning of December and students haven't had a regular class schedule since the end of December (minus that random week last month).  Basically, these past  few months students have been in school taking supplementary classes, but I've pretty much been deskwarming, not going to school at all, or teaching a whopping one class a day.  It's been a nice break, but it got a little ridiculous, and by last week I was honestly looking forward to getting back into a routine. 

Of course, I felt a little differently when my alarm clock went off bright and early this morning.  Ok, it's not even THAT early, especially compared to the disgusting time I had to wake up for school last year.  But still, I will NEVER be a morning person.  

Anywho, I walked into school this morning not having any idea of what my schedule was, what classes I was teaching, or even who my co-teachers would be this year. TIK.  I wouldn't expect anything else at this point.

Despite my having no idea of what was going on, today definitely had "the first day of school" feel in the air, mostly because of the number of new teachers in the building.  In Korea, teachers can only stay at a school for a few years (I think it's 5 years)....after that, they have to move to a new school.  I think this is meant to prevent all the best teachers from going to the "best" schools and staying there for life--it's meant to be more equitable (which it very well may be), but it is obviously quite different from the system we have in the US.  For better or worse, the result of this policy is that at the beginning of every school year there are a lot of new teachers--we also have a new vice-principal, which makes me a little sad because the former one was always really nice to me (and frequently told me to go home early... so you know, that didn't hurt!)  

I was actually a little sad because I didn't realize some of the teachers from last year were leaving. I was especially sad to see that the music teacher has been replaced.  The music teacher from last year was super friendly and loved trying to speak English.  It's pretty rare for any of the other teachers to be brave enough to speak to me, so I was disappointed to lose one of my few allies on the staff.  But I suppose I shouldn't write off all these new teachers so quickly--they could surprise me.

The day began with a faculty meeting in the morning, like every other Monday.  Then at 10:00 we had a school ceremony where a bunch of the new first grade students looked like they were getting awards, but I'm not really sure what they could have been getting awards for on their first day of school?  This is what happens when you sit in an assembly where you don't understand the language.  You literally spend the entire hour making guesses about what is happening. ((And trying not to fall asleep....but I like to pretend I'm stronger than that)) 

Anyway, my personal favorite part of the ceremony was when the administration introduced the teachers.  Teachers had to stand on stage in groups and bow when their names were called.  Naturally I didn't know when I was supposed to go which resulted in me awkward only standing up after my name had been called.  First day of school...nailed it!  

But actually I wasn't being sarcastic-this was my favorite part of the ceremony because the students SCREAMED for their favorite teachers (or for the new teachers they thought were attractive).  It was really just completely entertaining.  The girls especially screamed their little hearts out.  You would have thought we had some K-pop stars in the house the way they went crazy.  I have to say, I appreciate the enthusiasm.  I somehow don't think I ever would get that kind of reaction from my students in America.  

After the ceremony was over it was back to the office for me, where I finally got my new schedule.  The good news is that this semester I have only 18 classes per week compared to the 21 I had last semester. So, my days aren't too busy, with the exception of Thursdays when I have 6 classes....which is kind of ridiculous because I hated the days I had 5 classes last semester. So I have that to look forward to.
  
Another thing that's different about this semester is that I'll be seeing the first grade girls four times a week instead of the boys.  I guess it always goes this way, girls first semester, then boys second semester.  Although in my opinion now the boys are missing out because there will be no native teacher for the second semester, so I'm not sure how they are going to deal with that when the time comes?  But I guess it's not my problem, so I'll just let it be.  

I have to admit, I loved having so much time with my boys last semester, but I'm excited to have more girl time this semester.  Girls classes are always easier, and I'm secretly (but I guess not really secretly since I'm writing it on here) hoping that they'll be as awesome as my second grade girls were last year.  I sadly won't be seeing them anymore, as they're now third graders who will disappear into the abyss of the third floor as they cram for their college entrance exam in November.  Tear!

I will fortunately still see my first graders from last year though, just now they are second graders.  The major difference is I'll only be seeing them once a week.  

I'm really excited to meet all of my new classes, and a little bummed that I don't even have any classes with the new first grade boys. They just looked so cute and wide-eyed at today's ceremony.  I guess you can't win them all.  

It's going to take a little while to get adjusted.  Especially since today one of my CTs told me I had to decide what I was doing in the class--how I would split up the days with conversation/writing, what their major assignments would be, and how I would grade them.  UMMM hello! Things I don't think are really supposed to be left to me alone considering I don't understand the Korean learning expectations or grading system at all. But now I'm basically supposed to design the course all on my own.  Oh hey, I've been here six months and I'm still not really sure what they want me to be doing in the classroom.  Sooooooo, I suggested two days of conversation and two days of writing per for the first graders.  So far it looks like I have the thumbs up, but we'll see.  

I really hate the process of getting settled in, but I'm feeling overall optimistic about this new year.  It's strange knowing that I can't renew my contract, so I'm definitely in my last 6 months with these kids.  Better make them some good ones because the scary reality is that it will be time to say goodbye before I know it.

No comments:

Post a Comment