Saturday, August 31, 2013

Day 3

Originally written Thursday, August 29


Today was less eventful than the past two days, but I am still exhausted nonetheless.  On my way to school around 8:15 this morning I ran into another EPIKer from my class.  I had no idea he was in this town as well, but I’m pretty sure I’ve never been so excited to see another American.  I got to school and at 9:00 I met with two of the other English teachers that I will be working with.  I have 4 co-teachers in total, but I think three different preps. 

At EPIK orientation, we were told that we would only be teaching speaking and listening and that our job was to get students to speak.  But SURPRISE! I’m teaching writing.  From what I can tell the other two classes I teach will be more cultural classes (or as the teachers told me that’s the “fun” class that needs to engage the kids).  Apparently the writing class (which is called Advanced English Conversation….but I don’t think really had anything to do with conversation?), is the “very important” class. 

I have no idea how to teach a writing class (I mean, I taught writing plenty in social studies classes), but I have no idea what level these students are at.  The teachers said they should be able to write sentences, but I really have no idea what to expect in terms of their writing ability. 

So, I’m trying to make a writing prompt for Monday with really no idea what is expected of me or what the students can do.  For the other classes on Monday, I don’t even know what the classes are supposed to be about, or who I am teaching those classes with. 

It wouldn’t be such a big deal, but I don’t want the other teachers to think that I am unprepared or a bad teacher.  I have to say, I’m slightly envious of the people who got elementary school and get to spend their days singing songs. 

Of course, I will love high school once I have a better idea of what I’m doing, but I teach 21 classes a week.  That’s a lot! They told us at orientation that we shouldn't take any work home with us, but I’m pretty sure that I am going to be the one that ends up grading their writing?  Which will potentially be a lot? 

On a lighter note, I have never felt like such a celebrity in my life.  There have been many students that have come in to the teacher’s office to catch a glimpse of me.  It’s pretty amusing because they usually come with another friend and usually are giggling as they look at me.  Sometimes they will tell me I’m pretty or say hello.  As I was leaving school today, there were many kids outside and almost all of them said hello to me.  Some also already know my name, which they are always proud to tell me. 

It’s quite the experience to be so noticeable all of a sudden.  You really don’t realize how diverse America is (even NH!) until you are thrown into such a homogeneous society.  If it weren't for the English teachers here, many of these students would probably live a considerable amount of their lives without encountering a westerner. 

On a totally different note, today after school I took a little walk to see what is around me.  What did I discover? 

There is pretty much nothing around me.

 But I did find a little corner store right near my apartment.  I finally bought some laundry detergent (totally guessed on what kind to buy because I couldn't read any of the containers) and right now I have my very first load of laundry in the washer.  Which, by the way, is also an accomplishment because I can’t read any of the buttons on the washer.  But hey, if my clothes are clean, mission accomplished!

Once I get more settled down I will have much shorter posts, and be able to post more about random aspects of life of Korea.  But for now I’m somewhat long winded because I have a feeling that a year from now, these days are going to be the ones that are most comical to look back on. 

Love you all! 

1 comment:

  1. This is so awesome to read and definatly not too "wordy". I love hearing every single detail. I guess my favorites are that you are a celebrity and that you have done laundry without being able to read what you are doing!! HUGE accomplishment! Makes you realize what those who are illiterate actually go through!

    ReplyDelete