Sunday, August 18, 2013

Packing, leaving, and more goodbyes.

I'm not sure what time I woke up this morning, but I know it was early.  And I know that the instant I opened my eyes I was struck with some pretty intense anxiety.

It was my last day in the US.

With all the distraction of the show, I honestly hadn't let myself really pay much attention to the countdown of the time I had left at home.  The show took most of the day Friday, and then I went out with friends at night.  Then, just like that, it was Saturday. My last day.

I spent most of the day feeling like I either needed to vomit or cry. There was no puke (thankfully), but there were plenty of tears.

I was doing ok all day while packing and such, until I met up with Jess, Nate, Lisa, and Elizabeth at my church's festival. Being at my church, surrounded by my family, friends, and other people I have known my whole life was not the best location for me considering my already pretty fragile state.  I kept randomly starting to cry, which was obviously really awkward. Nothing some sunglasses can't fix.  I mean, what's wrong with wearing sunglasses at night?


After some hard goodbyes, I went home to continue packing.  Jess came over a little later to help me with the nearly impossible task.

Let me just say, packing for an entire year is HARD.  I used space bags and all, but I still ended up with two suitcases, a carry on bag, and a backpack.  And that's only after leaving behind a bunch of clothes that I really wanted to take with me.  I honestly don't know how people move abroad with only one suitcase.  I'll definitely be holding my breath when they weigh my luggage tomorrow.

As I was packing, my brother, sister in law, and nieces arrived.  I'm glad I got to see them, if only for a few minutes.  And of course, I got to hear those wonderful words of wisdom from my niece once again:

"Remember, teach them to say butt and fart.  And make sure they practice the 'R' in fart."

I don't really know what I'm so worried about--I think she has it all figured out.


1 comment: