Monday, December 23, 2013

Christmas Eve, Eve

Tomorrow is Christmas Eve, and instead of spending the day relaxing and preparing for Christmas, I will be teaching five classes.  In Korea.  I really never imagined this would be my life.

Although it's been different spending the holidays in Korea, I'm looking forward to getting together with my Jeomchon friends tomorrow and on Christmas day.

Naturally I spent tonight doing lots of last minute gift shopping and wrapping.  Thankfully, the shopping wasn't TOO bad, but among the things that I readily expected to be more difficult in Korea, wrapping gifts never once entered my mind.  However, let me tell you, this is a whole new challenge in Korea.

I've never been good at wrapping gifts, and I'll admit my mother typically ends up helping me (she is really the best!)  One of the striking things that is different about Christmas in Korea as opposed to at home is that when you go into the stores there aren't huge Christmas displays with little gifts, wrapping paper, gift tags, and decorations.  There was a Christmas section at Homeplus, but it didn't last too long.  Today all I saw was a little Christmas section with some chocolates--it's quite the contrast to what you find in America.

Anywho, I only found one little section with wrapping paper, and the selection was limited.  The rolls of wrapping paper aren't the huge ones like we have in America, but are much smaller.  When I got home I also quickly found out that the paper is much thicker and doesn't fold very easily.  This was added challenge enough until I realized that tape BARELY sticks to the paper too.  As a result, it took a ridiculous amount of time and a considerable amount of frustration to wrap these presents.



In other news, I got a package from one of my friends back home today.  And as you can see it contained some good things, especially REESE'S, which for some crazy reason are not sold in Korea and are in my mind a holiday necessity.  Thanks, Kirsten!!


I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas.  I have lots of updating to do about this past weekend in Seoul, but that will have to wait until after Christmas.  

MERRY CHRISTMAS, and I hope to get some quality time with all of you soon! xox


No comments:

Post a Comment