Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Nothing says "Merry Christmas" like plastic surgery!

Today I was talking to one of my first grade girls during class and she informed me that on December 21st she is going to Seoul to get double-eyelid surgery.  Yes, she is getting plastic surgery as a Christmas present from her parents.  She is 16 years old.

I guess I shouldn't be so surprised by this because I am well-aware of the role of plastic surgery in Korea.  I knew about it before I came, and I've already had many conversations with students about it.  However, I don't think I'll ever really get used to hearing my students talk so nonchalantly about this stuff.  It's just not ever going to be ok for me.

Also, I was told today that I have a "small head", high nose, and big eyes.  These are all considered desirable things in Korea.  Of course, all I could do was laugh because ok sure, maybe my nose is "high" but it's huge, and not desirable in any way by American beauty standards.

I love all my girl students, but I just don't know what to do with these conversations sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment