Sunday, September 15, 2013

Brilliant Korea: No Keys, No Problem!

At the entrance to my apartment

Keypad on my apartment door

When I was a sophomore in college, I lived in a dorm that used passcodes instead of keys for our rooms.  It was GREAT! Every other year I had key locks to my rooms, which meant that at least once during every year I locked myself out.  It always seemed to happen at the most inconvenient times--when I was in a rush to get to class, when I had plans to meet someone, or there was also that time I had just gotten out of the shower...and then realized the door was locked.  

Well, when I arrived in Korea, I was pleasantly surprised to find that the doors to our rooms during orientation also used pass codes instead of locks.  

I was even happier when I arrived at my apartment and saw that not only the entrance to the building used a code, but my apartment door also uses a code. No keys! Woohoo!  

Sure, code locks have disadvantages (in college it was terrible when a person's roommate would give their combo to someone else....), but I'm enjoying knowing that I can't lock myself out.

Yay, Korea! 


UPDATE:  I left for three days and nearly forgot my combo to my apartment..........but still not going to change my opinion of the key pads just yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment