Wednesday, September 25, 2013

I'm a millionaire!

In won of course, but it's still exciting to finally get paid!  And it looks like so much money on paper...it's a great feeling until you remember the conversion to US dollars...

Of course, when I went to the ATM, I entered the wrong pin number a few times, and now I am locked out. Good job, Sarah.  Definitely feeling like the stupid American tonight.

(But seriously, I have way too many numbers floating around in my brain and I opened the account a month ago in the midst of the whirlwind of moving to a new country, town, and job.  I should get more than two chances to get the right number!)


In other news, today I was talking to a group of boys in the hall before class and one of them looked at me and told me he was very "surprised" by my eyes because he had never seen someone with blue eyes before.

Moments like these are always kind of shocking to me.  In America there is so much diversity, and we (or I should say I) don't typically think anything of it. Living in this homogeneous society has made me realize how truly unique the United States is. When I was growing up, it was totally normal to have kids at school who spoke Spanish to each other.  It was totally normal to have kids in our class who celebrated different holidays. I never thought anything of the fact that kids in my classes had different eye, hair, or skin color.  It was just the way it was.

Korea is quite the different place in terms of all of these things, at least in the smaller towns.  I imagine it's different in the city where people encounter more diversity.  However, moments like these remind me that I'm not only here to teach English, but also to be a cultural ambassador to people who may not otherwise have ever met anyone from the western world.


No comments:

Post a Comment