Sunday, September 29, 2013

Random thoughts

Random thoughts/updates
--Being in a country where you don't understand the language gives you a lot of time to think.  I sit through a teacher's meeting every Monday morning, unable to understand a single thing that is being said.  I sit in the teacher's office all day and I have absolutely no idea what the other teachers are saying to each other.  I go to lunch and I haven't the slightest clue what the conversation is about.  

As a result, I get a lot of time to think. I often feel like I am in my own little bubble because I am alone with my thoughts all day.  It's strange, but  I should probably appreciate the opportunity to have so much me-time. 

--My students have been randomly drilling me on their names. I'm terrible at learning names in the first place, but it is infinitely harder when they all have the same color hair, eyes, glasses, and they all wear uniforms.  Never mind the fact that most of their names are ridiculously similar.  I really want to be able to remember them all....but damn, it's hard!

--I've really been enjoying getting to know the other teachers in Jeomchon.  I've been lucky to spend a lot of time with the other teachers over the past week, and I've had some great conversations with some people.  I'm going on a trip with a few people this weekend, and I'm really excited for that as well. It's really cool to hear about everyone's past experiences and plans for the future.  We have many different places that we're coming from and going, but our lives have intersected for this short, unique period in our lives. 

--It's just starting to feel like fall here.  It was only over the past week that it started to become cooler at night.  Until last week we still had highs in the low 80s during the day.  This week is about mid 70s, but I still haven't needed to wear my fleece when I go outside.  It's a little strange that it's basically October and still so warm.  Of course, I'm not complaining because I know winter will be long and brutal, so I'm trying to enjoy the nice weather while it lasts.

--It's really weird to think that it will still be so long until I am home. Before coming to Korea I had never lived outside of NH, never mind America, so when I think about the fact that I still have 11 months to go before I come home, it is kind of hard for me to comprehend.  

I love Korea, but of course I miss the comforts of home as well.  When I was in college, I was only 45 minutes away, so whenever I wanted to have the comfort of home I could go home for a night or two, eat some home cooked food, and take a ballet class.  But now that option isn't there, and it won't be there for a long time.  

When I look at facebook or skype with people back home, I am sad for everything that I am missing.  I'm glad that I'm here, and I wouldn't change it because I am having an amazing time, but it doesn't mean that I'm not sad about missing out on a year with my friends and family as well.



No comments:

Post a Comment